A man suspected of stabbing eight people on a bus in Lübeck was arrested.
Police confirmed that no one had been killed, but 5 people were moderately injured and 3 seriously. They sent a “major deployment” to the scene.
The attack took place on Friday afternoon in Kücknitz, a district of Lübeck, a town west of Hamburg on the northern German coast, with a population of 216,000.
A witness told the Lübecker Nachrichten, a local news site, that one of the victims stood up to offer his seat to an older woman and he was stabbed in the chest. The news outlet reported that police were questioning the witness.
Other witnesses reportedly said they saw a man carrying a backpack with smoke coming out of it. A further witness who lived nearby told the Lübecker Nachrichten website, LN Online, that the attacker was carrying a kitchen knife and people screamed as they left the bus.
Police set up a helpline for people to call for further information. The local police force tweeted at 17:30 that the situation was under control.
Allison Williams is deputy editor of Handelsblatt Global. To contact the author: email@example.com