Five years ago, the Gurlitt affair sent shockwaves through the art world and beyond. More than one thousand paintings collected by a Nazi art dealer were seized from a Munich apartment. They had been hidden for decades and included looted works.
Who owned these and other paintings is a question many institutions continue to struggle with.
Katja Blomberg, director of the contemporary gallery Haus am Waldsee, is on a different kind of journey.
She is searching for a missing picture, an icon of German modernism: Franz Marc’s “The Tower of Blue Horses” from 1913.
Many say the painting is lost but she is also investigating the space it left behind.
It was last seen in 1945 at Haus am Waldsee by the founder of Tagesspiegel newspaper, Edwin Redslob.
A question that continues to vex her is why no one followed indications that it was in Berlin after World War II ended.